Fear not, 2016-Minimalism

Happy New Year! 2015 was a great one.   A great, messy, productive and eventful one. I’ve done more traveling, stepped outside my com...



Happy New Year! 2015 was a great one.  A great, messy, productive and eventful one. I’ve done more traveling, stepped outside my comfort zone and started making some really important changes. I’ve never been a fan of New Years resolutions, but I want 2016 to be the year of comfort and productivity. With productivity, I find that organization is key. That being said, being a minimalist is every blogger’s topic (including mine). As someone who is extremely messy and lazy (let’s face it), being a minimalist is a process…a long, emotional, hair-ripping process. HOWEVER,  I do believe that it will help me feel like I can breathe and relax. These are a few ideas that I have been playing around with to reduce the clutter around me.

·      Makeup
Okay, so compared to some makeup enthusiasts, my makeup collection isn’t very impressive. However, I do know that I have more than I need. So, this past week, I took out all of my makeup and placed it in my travel bag and stored it in my bathroom cabinet. This left me with only the basics. If I find myself reaching for a different foundation or lipstick, I’ll keep it. At the end of the month, I will (hopefully) give the makeup I haven’t touched to a friend, or chuck it. Then I’ll probably cry.

·      Clothing
Is anyone really ever done cleaning out their closet? I have endless amounts of old high school t-shirts, sweaters that fit weird and sweatshirts that are ripped but too comfy to throw away. In 2016, I want to only have clothes that make me feel good in my closet. There have been way too many times in 2015 that I have worn a t-shirt just because I haven’t worn it in a while. Then, later in the day, I hated myself for putting it on that morning. I’ve made an (unrealistic) Pinterest board of the style that I’ve really been enjoying. I look at it each morning, and skim through my clothes each morning. If there is a shirt that you’re not too sure of but still haven’t worn it since last year, maybe try to part ways with it. I give my old clothes to my sister. That way if I ever need it back, I can just ask to borrow it again. (I usually don’t)

·      Work space
Holy crap, clean out your desk. You don’t need those expired coupons, empty scotch tape holder OR that birthday card from three years ago. That’s all.


My main tip is to do a little each day. Take something away you know you’re NOT going to use each day. Or use the box method. If you’re not sure about certain things, put them in a box and shove it under your bed. After a month or two, if you didn’t reach for it, maybe you should get rid of it. Ask yourself: "If I didn't already own this, would I buy it again?" 

Have a fun 2016! What are your resolutions?

PS! If you want more on minimalism from professionals and non-lazy people, search "minimalist" in Pinterest and you're set!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Flickr Images