10 Things to know while vacationing in a beach town

I live in a beach town. I live in beautiful Ocean City, New Jersey. This means every summer, our calm and quiet home town becomes invad...


I live in a beach town. I live in beautiful Ocean City, New Jersey. This means every summer, our calm and quiet home town becomes invaded with vacationers. Some are sweet, others are cranky, mean and (to be honest) self centered. I work in a Starbucks, which means that people are already cranky before having their coffee. It’s a little frustrating to make the transition between winter business and summer business. In the Winter, the town is used to the same people wandering the main road and visiting the shops. In Summer, strangers come in, demand excellence and they sometimes make me cry a little bit. So, if you’re taking a vacation to a beach town, here’s a few things to remember before winding down.
1)   Employees are not your seasonal servants
Although the saying “The customer is always right,” is correct, don’t assume that just because they are all wearing the same uniform means that they’re robots. They have feelings, too! They also want to be on the beach and spending time with their families.
2)   Please stop parking your Honda Civic as if it’s a 18 wheeler.
Parking is expensive. So, if I live here year round, why would I want to pay for parking to visit my friends or go to work when our cars should be able to both park on that whole half of the block that you’re taking up?
3)   Pre-teens, you’re on the boardwalk. Not Chelsea’s black light themed Sweet 16 party.
This does not need an explanation.
4)   This town is still running while you’re away.
Believe it or not, I’ve spoken to a tourist customer who asked me if the town was a dud during the off-season. She asked if our businesses made enough money to stay open year round. First of all, it’s hurtful for others to talk about your hometown like that. Year rounder’s see the town when it’s dead, busy, under water, etc. It’s our town and we love it during every season.
5)   Seriously. Stop feeding the seagulls.
I’m not sure why everyone thinks it’s a cute and fun idea to be attacked by hungry seagulls; on the boardwalk, around 100 other people. No one wants seagulls dancing around their over priced French fries. Not to mention, we all know seagulls have no shame in doing their business where ever they want.
6)   “I guess the prices are different here.. back in Pa-“ Stop.
You’re not in Pennsylvania or New York or Idaho or Canada or where ever you came from. I do not personally write up these prices to make you angry. Please, just accept that literally everything is overly priced no matter what beach town you go to.
7)   “Yield for pedestrians” does not mean that you’re invincible.
Even though it’s the law (and COMMON SENSE) to yield for anyone trying to cross the street, not everyone sees you. Please look both ways before pushing your baby stroller into traffic because it’s the law for them to not hit you. Just look and wait for someone to wave you across. There are a-holes who won’t let you cross the road. Safety is more important.
8)   Please stop waiting for me to leave my parking spot.
If I motion you to keep driving, that means I’m not leaving. That doesn’t mean to get out of your car and knock on my window and make me move.
9)   This is home to some people.
Not their second home, not their vacation spot, but it’s my one and only home. Please treat it that way! Pick up after your doggie’s mess, don’t be rude, watch your children, etc.
10)                  Enjoy your vacation!
You’re vacationing! Relax and have fun! Wipe away that miserable resting facial expression and smile at people that walk by. Don’t scoff if the person in front of you is taking too long to order their coffee.  Just relax and have fun!


**This was all in pure fun. I don’t mean to offend or be rude to anyone that might be reading this.**

Photo: Here

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Flickr Images